It is naturally the dream of many high school students to obtain a 4.0 GPA. Not only would it contribute to admittance to prestigious universities, but it would also give students more financial opportunities like scholarships. Even though it may seem daunting, the process of achieving a 4.0 GPA can be simplified in a few tips:
- Use highlighters in moderation to supplement your studies. The key to utilizing highlighters to your advantage is not using them excessively. As you are highlighting, you will realize that you are retaining the material by determining which bits of information are crucial enough to take note of. In the process, you are becoming an active reader, as opposed to passively scanning through the details.
- Annotating is critical to the learning process, and it is not limited to your English books. Your English teachers probably emphasize the importance of annotating to understand the text. This advice is viable across all subjects — annotating your textbooks can give you a comprehensive understanding of the topic you are currently learning. You can notate your reactions to the text, draw arrows towards important topics, or highlight (see #1) certain vocabulary words. Learning concepts to your full capacity is paramount to passing tests and quizzes, both of which amount to a large portion of your grade.
- Take notes during class, and do so legibly. Many of our suggestions lean towards notetaking because most of your studying process should consist of reading the notes you wrote during class. Rather than trying to squint and decipher your handwriting, you would have a much more productive study session if you take the time beforehand in class to write clearly.
- Constantly seek out your teachers whenever you need help. Prior to college, teachers do not really have a time dedicated for “office hours.” Whenever you struggle to understand a concept in math or want your essay to get read over, take about ten minutes of your lunch period or after school to ask your teachers for help. They will appreciate how much effort you are putting into their classes, and in turn, they will be more gracious in grading your work. This is also great practice for attending office hours in college!
- Most importantly, allocate your time wisely. This may sound like banal advice, but it’s the only way to get your homework completed on time, which is a key to receiving a good grade. This is a prime time of your life to learn valuable skills such as time management, which will benefit your future when you attend university and enter the workforce. As you become better with your time, you will preclude negative habits such as procrastination; putting homework and projects off and cramming for exams are forms of procrastination that every student regrets in the meanwhile. Time management helps you learn and memorize to the best of your abilities, and ultimately, helps reach your potential!
These are all easy ways that can help you get a perfect GPA. Receiving good grades involves consistency in your studies, along with time management. If you find yourself struggling in your classes and need some extra help in your academics, sign up for classes with Acclaim to help you get back on track to fulfill your goal of a 4.0!